Gran Torino

Jen's sister is visiting us with her two kids Jack(4) and Evan (3). Last night we had Jen and our three (9, 6, 2), Nancy (her sister) and her two, their friend Vicki and her two (6, 4), Jen & Nancy's Mom and their niece all over at the house. It was chaos in grand proportion.
Luckily for me, I'm sick. And sick enough to justify saying I needed to get the h-e-double sticks out of the house. So I did something I haven't done in about three years...I went to a movie. It was between Defiance and Gran Torino so I asked the cute girl at the ticket counter for her advice. Without hesitation she said Gran Torino and I am glad I took her advice. I dropped 8 bones on the movie (what the hell is that all about?) so opted to skip on the small bag of popcorn for $5.75. I now understand how Jen spent $55 last month taking 5 kids to the movies!
Clint Eastwood is a bad ass who happens to make great movies. i've always been a fan...I even like the flick where had the pet orangutan and traveled around fighting bare knuckles for a living. He is a great actor in my opinion and an even better producer. While his character in Gran Torino doesn't fall far from the tree of his stereotype (rough exterior with a heart beating faintly inside), the movie does a great job of portraying a man confronting his own mortality and prejudice at the same time.
It is set in Michigan. Eastwood plays a retired Korean war vet who hasn't changed as the world changed around him. Some great side plots and supporting actors as well. I cried in this movie, I laughed and I grew used to the large amounts of profane and vulgar language pretty quickly.
On a scale of 1 to 5 stars Johnny O gives this one a 4.

Comments