I'm So '80s

The other day I was bantering with some friends about the recent movie, Napolean Dynamite...one of my buddies (we'll call him Mr. Grumpy for now) just loves the movie and from the osund opf it he has seen it multiple times. I bought the movie, a strange thing for me to do, at Costco of all places on a complete whim. I'd heard so many *good* things about it that I decided I had to have it. The movie is funny, but the hype was such that it did not live up to my expectations.

Anyhow, there is a song on the soundtrack titled, The Promise by the band When In Rome and it is this song that led to all the banter between a bunch of nerdy 40 year olds. That song immediately triggered a memory for me and later that night I dug through some boxes and found a whole box of cassette tapes, most of them from about 1980 - 1990. The tape I was looking for was part of a series made for me by an old girlfriend, Ela. She made me tapes while we were going out and we continued to exchange tapes for several years after I graduated from Purdue.

Looking at the names on the tape covers was like traveling back in time, man was that fun. So I thought I'd share the contents of the tape with , The Promise on it so you can see just how much of a geek I was/am. We thought these bands were so "alternative" at the time; pretty funny.

This tape is titled, But Is It Fast Enough So We Can Fly Away (clever)

Side A

1. Prefab Sprout – The Golden Calf
2. TMBG – Puppethead
3. The Proclaimers – Sky & Akes the Soul
4. The Railway Children – Another Town
5. Wire – Kidney Bingos
6. Lloyd Cole & the Commotions – Mister Malcontent
7. Go-Betweens – Bye Bye Pride
8. Black – Finder
9. Morrissey – Sister, I’m A Poet
10. Hue & Cry – Strength To Strength
11. The Grapes of Wrath – Backward Town
12. It’s Immaterial – Space

Side B

1. The Style Council – Confessions of A Pop Group
2. The Bible – Crystal Palace
3. New Order – Touched By the Hand of God
4. The Connells – Over There
5. The Wild Swans – Bible Dreams
6. The Wooden Tops – Wheels Turning
7. Friends Again – South of Love
8. The Silencers – Gods Gift
9. R.E.M. – Exhuming McCarthy
10. The Colourfield - Confession
11. The Close Lobsters - Foxheads

Some good and not so good stuff on there. I'll post one a day for kicks and grins

Comments