I am starting to get giddy with excitement about my trip to San Francisco. Except for the pain (which has subsided into sort of a dull ache...not a good sign) in my knee, all I want to think about right now are all the recommendations my friends Dave & Claire and Trina have given me. I'll be leaving Missoula tomorrow morning at 10:45 AM and arriving in San Francisco via Salt Lake City at around 1:50 PM. My friend Dave (aka Punk Ass) is picking me up at the airport and dropping me off at The exceedingly groovy Hotel Triton, after which I have to boogie over to register at my conference. Later, Dave will go back to the airport to pickup his brother, Rick and another friend and fellow Urologist Karl Westenfelder. Karl, Rick and I are sharing a hotel room. The Triton is located at the gates of Chinatown and I can't wait to get my mouth around some of the great culinary offerings to be had. The Extended forecast looks flipping awesome, with the weather just getting better and better as the week goes on. I can't wait to see the Golden Gate bridge up close (before 9/11 I flew over it in Jack Roscoe's sweet little prop plane on my way to Gwen & Jack's wedding in Arcata), visit Alcatraz and go the largest independent record store in the country, Amoeba Records. Oh yeah, and I'll learn alot at the conference too :)
Book Review: A Rumor of War
I am somewhat of a history buff, including military history. Over the past 10 years or so I've tried to learn more about the history of various parts of Asia, Europe, Africa and the United States. I've also read quite a few books on various wars and conflicts, both modern and historical.
From the moment the United States invaded Iraq, comparisons to the US involvement in Vietnam began to surface. And as time has worn on, the comparisons to me seemed to merit some sort of personal research. My friend Rick is also an avid reader, especially of military history and he suggested I read A Rumor of War, which has been touted as one of the defining pieces on Vietnam.
This book is brutally honest...not only in detailing the often surreal events in Vietnam and the consequences suffered by soldiers and civilians alike from often farcical decision made somewhere far off, but also in the depiction of what can do to perfectly sane and otherwise moral individuals.
It can be disturbing a...
Comments